- MBBS LLB(Hons) FANZCA FACLM FAICD
- Anaesthetist (and former GP)
- Law degree with Honours in Health Law
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors by graduation and experience
- Fellow of the Australian College of Legal Medicine
Federal Australian Society of Anaesthetists Vice President and Honorary Treasurer
– overseeing a large asset and budget organisation that is politically and economically influential.
– seeking to improve the lives of anaesthetists everywhere through sophisticated advocacy.
AMA WA President
June 2016 – June 2017 then June 2019 – Present.
– active in COVID response agitating for whole of health response, and particularly in the area of PPE for frontline anaesthetists and others. Interacting with state and federal Health Ministers and visible in public arena calling for strong controls of risk and fair treatment for all Healthcare Workers. Appeared in media on hundreds of occasions to push this cause – most notably Four Corners and The Project among many others.
– strong advocate for a sensible MBS Review – including interviews with Ausdoc and meeting with the head of the Review Taskforce and relevant Ministers. Contributor to ASA strategy on proposed cuts to funding for anaesthesia.
– successful leader of AMA advocacy on Voluntary Assisted Dying in Western Australia, placing the profession at the centre of a detailed conversation on the new Act and palliative care, such that the AMA was mentioned in Hansard more than any other group.
– now appointed to the implementation group for VAD in WA to ensure the professions’ voice remains heard as the important rules around training and procedure are introduced
– commenced internal generational update including orderly transition of our longterm CEO to a successor in a collaborative process – the difficulty and risk of managing this process should not be underestimated with such a successful long term incumbent
– successful engagement to bring changes to PMH/PCH culture with executive accountability leading to vast improvements in PCH culture index
– proven as a media performer in print, radio, TV and online.
– encouraged expansion of council and increased participation of a more diverse range of co-opted Councillors
– introduced more modern corporate governance with constitutional reform to add a professional Board structure
AMA WA Board member & Councillor – June 2016 – present (Councillor for 9 years)
– responsible for the corporate aspects of our business entities
– continued the corporate transition including helping to frame and conduct the successful search for a new CEO who is commencing soon
– remained active on Federal Council elected by Anaesthetists Australia wide, developing a national network
AMA Federal Councillor – national body responsible for policy – 2016 – present, as representative for Anaesthesia
AMA Federal Ethics and Medicolegal Committee – 2016 – present
– formulating AMA policy on Voluntary Assisted Dying, Conflicts of Professional Interest, Genetic Testing, Termination of Pregnancy, Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Relationships with Industry, Conscientious Objection and many more..
AMA Federal Equity Inclusion and Diversity Committee – 2019 – present
– pushing effectively for 40/40/20 gender diversity on AMA by 2021 and for better inclusion both in the AMA and profession
MDA National Board Member & Mutual Board Member
– having a legal qualification aids in governance and case management
– this company is regulated by APRA who impose strict conditions on the professionalism of insurance company directors
Company Director Lakesbay Pty Ltd
– involved in running a company that produces agile software as a service for practice management and Eclipse systems
– General Practice in Marangaroo
– Anaesthesia training in Perth and Pennsylvania
– now in private specialist practice in Subiaco
– family of course
– volunteer surgical trips to Tanzania with Rafiki Surgical Missions and Laos with Interplast